This category is about all aspects of Holiday Home Insurance and will be of interest to owners of holiday homes, cottages and holiday complexes across the UK. As Holiday Home Insurance Specialists Boshers are experts and provide tips and guidance. Check out these posts, Holiday Homes – getting your Buildings Insurance Right, Dog Friendly Holiday Home Insurance, How much should your holiday home insurance cost?, Frequently asked holiday home insurance questions, Getting your Holiday Let Insurance Right – Public and Employers Liability

holiday home insurance questions

holiday home insurance questionsWhether you’ve recently bought a holiday home or survived your 30th season, it’s equally important to have the right insurance. As holiday home insurance specialists we answer questions from cottage owners on a daily basis. We’ve pulled together six of the most frequently asked holiday home insurance questions to give you a quick insight into the cover you potentially need.

We’d like to use our cottage for our own holidays, and for friends and family.  Would this be covered under a holiday home insurance policy?

Your holiday home needs to be available to paying guests for the majority of time throughout the year (the amount of time may depend on your individual policy). What this means is that you, or your family and friends, will be fine to use your cottage as long as it remains available to paying guests for the required period in any given year.

If something goes wrong, does the Holiday Home Insurance policy cover loss of rental income?

Insurance is there to help you through tough times, and we know that if something were to happen to your holiday home you not only face the potential bill to fix the issue, but also the cost of the rental income you would have otherwise gained whilst you wait for it to be repaired.

For this reason, our own policy automatically covers cottage owners for up to two years’ loss of rental income up to a sum of £75,000 should your property become unavailable as the result of an insured event such as storm damage or fire. Does your holiday home have an annual gross rental income in excess of £37500 (£75000 over two years)? We can provide additional cover on request. We’re here to get you back on your feet and we feel this is a great part of the cover we’re able to offer cottage owners.

What happens if a guest accidentally breaks something, or even steals items from our cottage?

It’s an old cliché, but accidents do happen. If you have hundreds of guests enjoying your holiday home each year, there is a small chance that some items in your cottage may get damaged. The good news is that this would be covered under the accidental damage section of your policy, subject to an excess.

Cover for theft by guests is also automatically included, although we of course hope you won’t need it!

I employ a cleaner and a few others on a part time basis; would our holiday home insurance policy cover us for this?

If you employ staff, even if on a part time basis, it is a legal requirement to have Employers Liability insurance. This is covered under our own holiday home policy as standard. You will be issued a certificate upon taking your insurance out. Remember that you need to retain this with your records.

Do I have to regularly inspect the holiday home?

As part of our specialist insurance cover you will need to inspect the property on a regular basis. Regular inspections are also good practise from a customer service perspective. The policy includes the condition that:

  • whenever your holiday home is left unoccupied, you will arrange that the premises are inspected at least every 14 days.

This inspection can be carried out by you, or by an authorised person responsible to you. It ensures your cottage is kept in tip top condition for those happy guests.

My holiday let is an annexe of my main property, can I cover it?

You certainly can, as long as any adjoining door between your home and holiday letting annexe is kept locked. The holiday let insurance needs to be kept separate. In situations such as this we would also look to provide home insurance for your main residence.

Remember that this article only gives a brief indication of some of the cover involved in insuring your holiday home.  For further advice please contact us to ensure you have the cover your cottage really needs.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. If you have any more holiday home insurance questions please give us a call on 01237 429444.

For further information on UK holiday home insurance visit the website page most relevant to you:

accident report guest injured holiday home

accident report guest injured holiday homeAccidents happen, and whilst health and safety measures will reduce potential risks there may still be a time when a guest is injured at your holiday home. Our holiday home insurance policy comes with public liability as standard, but there are some steps you’ll need to carry out should an accident occur.

Make sure communication is at the forefront of your mind

First and foremost, make sure that as soon as you’re made aware that a guest has been injured, you check on their condition. Identify how serious the incident was, and also exactly where, how and when it took place. Having firm and hard facts will be important when dealing with your insurance provider.

Don’t admit liability

It can be a very English thing to say sorry as soon as someone has been hurt. However, sometimes accidents happen, so until it is completely apparent that the incident has taken place as a result of your actions, don’t steam in and admit any liability.

If someone has been injured discussions in the immediate aftermath can become heated. Think of the best way to deal with the situation. Whether that would be through a face to face meeting or asking them to provide a written account of what has happened (often a good way for them to let off some steam). Do not respond to any correspondence beyond acknowledging receipt and stating that you have passed it on to your insurers. It is imperative that you forward correspondence to your insurers as soon as you receive it.

Inform your insurance company

Next, you will need to inform your insurance provider. We recommend you do this as soon as possible for the benefit of you and your guest. Provide them with full details of what happened (which is why it’s vitally important you gather this information), as well as information on any injuries sustained. The more information you let your insurance provider have the better. If it’s received as quickly as possible they’ll be able to deal with your claim and resolve it. Afterall, this is ultimately what you and the injured party will both want.

Begin gathering information

Once your insurer has been informed, you may need to gather evidence which proves your holiday let is well run. Paying particular attention to how you manage it in accordance with health and safety regulations. This evidence could include maintenance schedules, proof of adherence with legislation, updated risk assessments. Gather these, together with anything else that may be relevant. By displaying that your property and grounds are safe and well maintained will demonstrate that you’ve taken reasonable precautions. Don’t be alarmed if the insurance company appoint an independent adjuster to take photos and discuss the claim with you. They are just gathering the facts, so always be open and honest with them. They’ll take the matter forward with the intention of concluding the claim on the best terms.

Forward all communication to your insurance provider

Finally, ensure that any correspondence from the injured party (or their representative) is dealt with promptly. Where possible forward it to your broker or insurance company by return of post or immediately if by email. Any delay could prejudice your position.

Whilst reading this article you’ve probably been asking yourself if you have taken all possible measures to protect visitors to your holiday home. We have many other articles on these subjects, here are links to a few which may be of interest to you:

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. For more information on how a specialist insurer can help and support your holiday home business, please give us a call. Alternatively for further information on holiday home insurance visit the website page most relevant to you:


Modern Living Room Holida Home Contents Insurance

Modern Living Room Holida Home Contents InsuranceWhen you’re renewing your holiday let property insurance there are a few points you need to bear in mind. As you’re aware, a holiday let is very different to your average home, so having specialist insurance is vital. You’ll want to be sure you’re fully covered when something goes wrong and you need to make a claim.

Our holiday home insurance incorporates a lot of factors as standard, including public liability, accidental damage and full theft cover. When coupled with loss of rental income cover, these will really help you out should you need them. This is why they are automatically covered, but there are some aspects we’ll need to know about in order to give you the best holiday let property insurance possible.


Our Holiday Home Insurance automatically covers employer’s liability for £10,000,000 and you’ll receive a certificate stating this with your policy. It is important that you keep your employees in mind when discussing your policy with us, particularly if you’re renewing and your circumstances have changed. This is particularly important for larger holiday cottage complexes who may employ a housekeeper or maintenance staff. If you run a payroll we’ll need to know your Employers Reference Number (ERN) for short.

Building work

If you’re renewing and have had any building work done, you’ll have to let us know so we can get your cover right. If you’re taking out a new policy, and are planning on carrying out any work, whether that be demolition or building, we will also need to know. Letting us have a clear idea of what will be changing in the next 12 months will make it easier for us to provide you with the right cover and advise you when you’ll need to update it further.

Hot tubs and pools

We know that guests love hot tubs and pools, but you’ll also have to make it clear that you have one (or both!) when it comes to taking out your insurance. If you’re renewing and have recently installed something such as a hot tub, swimming pool or other guest facilities then you’ll need to let us know.


We want your holiday home to be secure. That said, it’s unlikely we’ll ask you to meet strict security requirements unless your holiday home contents has a high value. If you’ve made alterations to your cottage security by installing something such as an alarm system, then please do let us know when renewing your policy. You may consider using a key safe for convenience, we have no problem with this but if your holiday home is insured elsewhere do check to ensure your not compromising your cover. If in doubt call us for a quote.

Increasing holiday let property insurance sums insured

Whether it’s holiday let property insurance to cover contents, buildings or public and employers liability, the most important part of an insurance policy is ensuring that you have the right level of cover for your holiday home. Renewal is a great time to review your sums insured to see if they need to be increased. Bear in mind that you will need the cover if the worst should happen. Don’t be tempted to underinsure no matter how many years you’ve been claims free. Our goal is always for you to have the right cover for your needs.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. For more information on how a specialist insurer can help and support your holiday home business, please give us a call on 01237 429444.

For further information on UK holiday home insurance visit the website page most relevant to you:

Loss of holiday letting income insurance

Loss of holiday letting income insuranceFor many holiday homeowners across the UK 2016 was a great year. For some it may have even been record breaking. As we approach the new year with optimism and await the January influx of Easter and summer bookings, have you considered what you’d do if your holiday home became unavailable for all of those guests to stay in?

Whilst fire, flooding and other insurable damage to your property will be something you’ll want to keep to the back of your mind and cross your fingers it never happens, for some it will, and for those people cover for loss of holiday letting income can be a real business saver.

Why loss of income insurance is so important for holiday home owners

Imagine if your own home were to become uninhabitable due to a fire, flood or severe storm damage. You’d find yourself waking up to some sobering consequences; having to find somewhere to stay, arranging the repairs and saving as many of your belongings as possible, all whilst continuing to live your daily life.

As a holiday homeowner you have an added concern; for every day your holiday home is out of action you’ll be feeling the pinch as you lose the money you would otherwise have gained from paying guests during that period.

If that time comes in the height of the summer season the financial implications could be doubled or even trebled while you race to get back on the market.

As specialists in holiday home insurance we understand the consequences of your cottage becoming uninhabitable. For that reason we offer to cover the loss of rental income you would have potentially gained for up to two years.

We’re here to support you should the worse happen. We’re here to get you back on your feet as quickly as possible.

How much cover do you currently have?

Having the cover is great, but you’ll need to make sure you have the right amount of cover; too little and you’ll feel the pinch, too much and you’ll be over-insured and paying for cover that you don’t need.

When it comes to our own insurance policy, we cover holiday cottages for a minimum of £75,000 of lost income over two years. So the questions for you would be, is that enough? Do you need to take out more cover with us? Our team, who talk to cottage owners just like you each and every day, will be happy to discuss this with you whenever you call.

If you’re insured elsewhere make sure you not only have this cover in place, but that you have an adequate level of insurance to cover your potential loss.

Unsure of how much cover you need? Take a look at your gross revenue for the past two years – is it higher or lower than £75,000?

Knowing you’ve got extensive cover for all scenarios

Insuring with a specialist provider has its benefits for holiday cottage owners; our cover is comprehensive and as a result of our knowledge and experience with holiday home owners we’re able to provide a wide range of cover.

Our own loss of insurance is for business interruption, meaning that we’ll take into account the letting history of your property, along with its future potential, rather than cover for holidays that have already been booked and paid for by future guests.

This can be quite a significant difference should you find yourself facing the need to rely on it. Always make sure you know the level and breadth of cover you have in place.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance which includes cover for loss of holiday letting income. Cover is triggered following a claim for an insured peril. For information on how we can help support your holiday letting business call 01237 429444.

Boshers are proud to be one of a limited number of UK brokers to offer Ecclesiastical Home Insurance:

public and employers liability insurance

public and employers liability insurance

Every holiday home is different, so making sure you have the right insurance in place for your holiday let property is incredibly important. You may think that a standard home insurance policy will do the job, but when guests are paying to stay in your holiday let , the Public and Employers Liability Insurance from basic home insurance won’t cover you. Nor will it if you have any employees (cleaners, gardeners, seasonal staff etc.).

Whilst we understand that you do your best to keep your guests and employees safe, we know that accidents can, and do, happen. If someone does get hurt whilst staying at your holiday let having the right insurance can save you a lot of time, money, and stress.

In this post, we take a look at Public Liability Insurance and Employer’s Liability Insurance.

Why are Public Liability Insurance and Employer’s Liability Insurance important?

Public Liability Insurance covers the legal liability of the policyholder for bodily injury, death, disease or illness. This means that should anything happen to your guests, you won’t be having to empty your pockets in legal or settlement fees. Whether there’s been a slip that resulted in a bumped head, or a far worse accident, Public Liability Insurance will keep your holiday let protected from legal costs and any compensation that may occur.

This works alongside Employer’s Liability Insurance, protecting you from the cost of compensation claims. If an employee claims to have an illness or injury from working for you, the bills will be taken care of.

You will be classed as an employer if you have a contract of service with anyone who helps you maintain your holiday let, whether spoken, written, or implied. This includes cleaners, gardeners, seasonal staff, and even volunteers.

Are Public and Employers Liability insurance necessary?

Employer’s Liability Insurance is a legal requirement, regardless of whether you have a cleaner once a month or once a week, you need to have the right insurance. Even if your workers are only seasonal, comprehensive cover is still a necessity.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) enforces the requirement, and you could be fined at a rate of £2,500 for every day you have traded without Employer’s Liability Insurance.

The minimum legal requirement for Employer’s Liability Insurance is £5million, but in practice many insurers (including us) provide cover of £10million.

Whilst Public Liability Insurance is not a legal requirement, it is good business practice. You can keep your holiday let as secure and safe as you like, but if that one wobbly paving stone trips a guest up, or the path covered with wet leaves causes a slip, you could be facing some big fees.

With so many guests visiting your holiday let each year, not having Public Liability Insurance is a big risk to take. It is particularly important that this insurance is for holiday homes, as standard Public Liability Insurance will not cover you and your let.

How much cover do I get?

It is recommended that holiday let homeowners get Employer’s Liability Insurance coverage for £10million, and Public Liability Insurance of at least £5million for smaller properties (sleeping up to two guests) and £10million for larger properties.

Our Specialist Holiday Home Insurance Policy provides Employer’s Liability Insurance of £10million and Public Liability Insurance of £10million as standard.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. For more information on how a specialist insurer can help and support your holiday home business, please give us a call on 01237 429444.

For further information on UK holiday home insurance visit the website page most relevant to you:

Modern Living Room Holida Home Contents Insurance

Modern Living Room Holida Home Contents Insurance How much are the contents currently in your property worth if you had to replace them like for like as new? Whether it’s your own home insurance or your holiday home contents insurance, it’s a question we’ve all faced from time to time when seeking a quote. It’s an important question too; go too low and should the worst happen you’ll potentially find yourself short or underinsured. Go too high and you’ll be over insured, paying an unnecessarily high premium year after year.

So how many of us really know the true value of the possessions in our holiday homes?

Is it £25,000? £35,000? Or even more?

Have you considered the soft furnishings, curtains and the carpets? They count too, as do the gadgets, furniture and even the clock hanging from the wall or the ornaments adorning the bedside tables.

Still think you know? If not, here’s our helpful overview to make sure you’re ticking off every item and making an informed decision on the level of cover you really need.

Account for the full replacement cost as new for holiday home contents insurance purposes

You may have queued up from 0600 in the morning on New Years day to furnish your holiday home in the sales at bargain prices but when your three piece suite is damaged beyond repair in mid-summer you’ll want a like for like replacement quickly and without question. For this reason it is important to insure for the full cost as new for all of your holiday home contents, that’s the full retail price without discounts.     

Electrical Equipment

One of the biggest growth areas in contents is the sheer volume of gadgets we all have in our homes, and holiday cottages are no exception. Make a list of the items you have including some of the following:

  • Televisions, DVD players and other entertainment systems such as PlayStation’s or an Xbox
  • White goods including your freestanding oven, microwave, dishwasher, fridge freezer, washing machine and tumble drier.
  • Remember your cleaning equipment also counts, so add that shiny Dyson or humble Hettie the Hoover in there too!

Your furniture

The furniture throughout your holiday home will add up to a considerable cost should it need to be replaced. Go through each room and make note of all of the furniture and furnishings and other contents in each, not forgetting to open the drawers and cupboards where spare bedding, linen or towels may be stored:

  • Your sofas are likely to be the key item in the living room; don’t forget to include any soft furnishings you’ve added to them too such as scatter cushions.
  • When it comes to bedrooms and your beds you’re going to want to include both the frame and the mattress (even the pillows and the bedding too), which can be expensive should they need to be replaced.
  • Where do your guests enjoy an evening meal? If it’s at a dining table and chairs be sure to add this to the list.
  • Those kitchen utensils, pots, pans, dinner service and cutlery they’re making and eating their meal with? You’ve got it; they need to be included too!
  • Not forgetting small appliances such as the kettle, toaster, iron and barista machine if you have one!

Child friendly holiday homes

Regularly welcome young families to your holiday home? You might have some of the following in your cottage:

  • Cots
  • Stair gates
  • Play equipment

Garage and garden items

Thinking outside of the home and into the garden shed, are you including the items that make that garden look as pristine as it does?

  • If not then factor in cover for items such as your lawnmower and garden tools.
  • Trampolines, and other play equipment would also form part of this section of your contents.
  • Patio and garden furniture
  • Ceramic planters, garden ornaments and statues, it all adds up

Those items you might not think of

When we think of contents we often think of personal items such as clothing, or other accessories such as our television. Here are a few you’ll need to allow for that might not immediately spring to mind:

  • Lighting, including lamps, and the light bulbs throughout your cottage.
  • The curtains and blinds in all of your rooms.
  • Carpets and floor coverings or rugs (commonly forgotten).

‘High risk’ items

If you have any particularly high value items within your holiday home, such as expensive pieces of art such as prints, paintings and sculptures, then these may need to be listed separately within your policy. Ask your insurer about these items when receiving your quote.

Once you’ve added up the replacement cost of the above, check it against your current sums insured and speak to your broker to increase your cover if necessary.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. For more information on how a specialist insurer can help and support your holiday home business, please give us a call on 01237 429444.

For further information on UK holiday home insurance visit the website page most relevant to you:

N.B. This article is only an indication of the items that you should be considering when calculating your potential contents insurance. Please speak with us for further information or a quote for your holiday home insurance.

Insurance Premium Tax

Insurance Premium Tax In the Summer Budget, announced 8th July 2015, the Chancellor confirmed an increase of 3.5% in the standard rate of insurance Premium Tax (IPT). The increase is effective for new policies and renewals due on or after the 1st November 2015.

The standard rate of Insurance Premium Tax – the tax paid each time an insurance policy is purchased in the UK – is rising from 6% to 9.5%.

This change will affect the majority of insurance policies purchased by private individuals and small businesses for risks located in the UK.

Affected insurance policies with a start date after 31 October will have IPT charged at the new rate. This will increase the cost of a Holiday Home Insurance policy with a net premium of £500 by £17.50 bringing the total premium to £547.50 including Insurance Premium Tax at 9.5%.

If you are an existing Boshers holiday home insurance customer, with a policy start date before the 1st November 2015 and you need to make a change to your policy mid-term, you will continue to have the 6% rate applied until 1st March 2016. After this date, the rate will be 9.5%.

Higher rate IPT remains unchanged at 20% and applies to:

  • travel insurance
  • warranties for some mechanical and electrical goods

According to the Treasury the IPT increase will bring in an additional £8.1bn for the Treasury by 2021*. This was the second largest revenue raiser in the Summer Budget.

Insurance Premium Tax was first introduced to the UK in 1994. The rise on 1 November is the 4th increase in the standard rate since its introduction.

  • From 1 October 1994, a single rate of 2.5% was charged
  • 1 April 1997: increased to 4%
  • 1 July 1999: increased to 5%
  • 4 January 2011: increased to 6%
  • 1 November 2015: increased to 9.5%

*This is according to HMRC’s own figures summarising the impact of the move

The IPT increase is one of the chancellors more controversial revenue raising measures and the government has come under fire from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) who will continue to lobby to halt further increases. One of the justifications made by Mr Osbourne to justify the increase was that the UK’s insurance premium tax is well below that of other countries, for example Germany levies 19%.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. For more information on how a specialist insurer can help and support your holiday home business, please give us a call on 01237 429444.

Richfords Fire and Flood

In this article we look closely at a holiday home insurance claim from the restoration companies perspective.

Holiday Home in Cornwall

Richfords Fire and Flood

The property is a terraced house split into 3 holiday flats, all of which had suffered a vertical Escape of Water (clean) in April. All three of the flats are used as holiday properties and had summer bookings, therefore the property needed to be restored as soon as possible to minimise the loss of rental income.

The Holiday Home Insurance Claim | Escape of Water causing a Vertical Flood

On the 7th of April a vertical flood was discovered as a result of a leaking pipe under the bath in the 2nd floor bathroom (Flat 3); Water escaped downwards in to 1st floor (Flat 2) and ground floor (Flat 1).

As a result of this leak there was a lot of work that needed to be carried out to restore the apartments, one of the first things being a check of the electrical circuit. This was to ensure that the electrics were safe and that water damage had not compromised them. If it had been found that they had been affected by the water, a temporary board would have been installed so that there was no further risk of electrocution or fire, as well as enabling the drying equipment to run safely and the occupants to have a safe electricity supply.

First response

The loss adjusting company first called Richfords in the morning of the 8th of April. Within two hours Richfords senior technician attended site with a fully equipped response vehicle and was immediately able to assess the incident.

Upon arrival our technician carried out a thorough survey of the property and found that the construction of the floors in the apartments could trap moisture from the incident leading to secondary damage.

Initial Concerns and Damage Limitation

The technician removed the wet and damaged carpets as soon as possible, to prevent any further damage to the flooring. Also trying to save the carpet so it can be cleaned and refitted rather than being left wet, which could result in the carpet being written off and having to be replaced. We also lifted the kitchens vinyl so save the cost of replacement. As this an uncommon kind of floor insulation, it would be a challenge, but one that we are capable of dealing with.

Standing water was extracted to prevent secondary damage from happening. The technician quickly installed state of the art dehumidifiers to reduce the humidity, followed by specialist injection drying. This technique is used to release trapped moisture and avoids the disruption and cost of removal of the insulation and screed.

Installation | Ground Floor Lounge and Kitchen

  • In both the Lounge and the Kitchen we Installed Kruger Air drying into the plasterboard to release any trapped moisture, once the walls had been dried we would then fill the holes in preparing them for redecoration.
  • Installing Kruger Air drying into the floating floor and filling of the holes once dry, to save the cost of replacement.
  • We also refitted the carpet and underlay once the building was dry and cleaned the carpet to save the cost of replacement.

First Floor Lounge and Kitchen

  • Unfortunately we were unable to save the Vinyl, Carpet.
  • In both the lounge and the kitchen we Installed Kruger Air injection drying system into the plasterboard to release any trapped moisture, once the walls had been dried we would then fill the holes in preparing them for redecoration.
  • Installing Kruger Air drying into the floating floor and filling of the holes once dry, to save the cost of replacement.
  • Removal of kitchen units/breakfast bar and bookcase. Lifting of existing chipboard floor plus two layers of plasterboard and insulation layer (approx 25sqm) and replace. Refit kitchen units, breakfast bar and bookcase.

Second Floor Bathroom

  • The floor had bowed therefore we had to remove the entire floor and replace it.


In total the drying project took 20 days. The quick response by the owner of the property in notifying the claim to their holiday home insurers resulted in Richfords being able to respond to this incident within hours.

The use of modern drying equipment and specialist injection drying resulted in a short project time scale and helped to keep the financial loss to a minimum. In addition the use of injection drying has reduced the possibility of trapped moisture causing further building issues in the future. All three of the holiday letting apartments were up and running again by the 25th May and occupied by paying guests.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. For more information on how a specialist insurer can help and support your holiday home business, please give us a call on 01237 429444.

You may find the following holiday home insurance articles of interest:

For further information on UK holiday home insurance visit the website page most relevant to you:

Insurance for Holiday Cottage Complex

Insurance for Holiday Cottage ComplexAs a holiday cottage complex owner does the sound of teaming up with an intermediary specialising in insurance for holiday cottage complexes sound appealing? With more than 25 years experience of insuring properties just like yours, we’re here to help you.

What do we mean when we use the words ‘specialist insurance’? We devote our time to advising on insurance for holiday cottage complex owners and individual holiday homes across the country. We speak to owners each and every day; we understand what they want and what they need from their insurance provider, and from their insurance policy.

We believe our insurance helps and supports you when you need it the most; here are just a few examples of how our holiday complex insurance will do that for you…

Insurance for Holiday Cottage Complex Owners that includes £10m Public and Products Liability Cover

It stands to reason that the more cottages you own, the more visitors you’re likely to have during the year, and in particularly during those busy summer months.

It’s therefore vital that you have a sufficient amount of Public Liability cover.

Public liability insurance covers the legal liability of the policyholder for accidental bodily injury to third parties or damage to their property.

If for example, a visitor to one of your cottages sustained a serious injury as the result of an accident whilst staying with you, our insurance policy would cover you up to the sum of £10,000,000 in any single incident.

£10m Employers Liability Cover

Most holiday home complexes will employ people to work inside or outside of their properties, for example in the form of gardeners, maintenance and housekeeping staff for those all important changeovers.

If you do, it is a legal requirement for you to have Employers Liability insurance and this will cover you against injury or illness sustained in the course of their employment.

Remember, even if you are directing the work of self-employed contractors or employing friends to work on your complex during busier periods, you’ll still need this cover.

Accidental Damage

Sometimes accidents happen.  As we’ve already said, you’ll have a large number of guests staying with you each year, which can in turn make a mishap all the more likely.

Should a guest spill red wine on that wonderful new carpet you’ve laid, or cause damage to any of your properties as the result of an accident, Boshers will be able to cover you for the damage subject to the policy excess.

Theft or attempted theft, even when your cottage is occupied

A holiday is a time when most of us will let our guard down, and also spend a lot of time exploring, rather than inside a holiday home.  For this reason, holiday cottages can become targets for thieves, and despite the larger numbers of visitors on site at a holiday complex at any given time they are not immune to this.

We’re able to offer theft cover to complex owners, even when your cottages are occupied by paying guests.

Home Insurance too!

Want to have all of your insurances in one place? That’s not a problem; we’re also able to offer our complex owners the same high level of service and experience for their home insurance too.

Tailored and experienced

When you take out insurance with Boshers we’ll tailor the sums insured to make sure you have the right policy for your needs.  We’ll also talk you through all of the areas of cover we offer, along with why and when you may need them. We also understand that your cottage complex may have additional facilities such as hot tubs, swimming pool, a games room or pets corner to name but a few.

Additional guidance on insurance for holiday cottage complexes and quotes are available from the Boshers Holiday Home Insurance Team on 01237 429444.

For further information on UK holiday home insurance visit the website page most relevant to you:

Insurance for Listed Holiday Lets
Insurance for Listed Holiday Lets

Hucksteps Row, Rye, Sussex, Grade II Listed, Kent and Sussex Holiday Cottages

When we search for a holiday many of us will look to the nearest beach, others toward finding a secluded spot in the countryside, maybe even a combination of both that will keep our young family occupied for a full week.

No matter what you’re looking for, one thing you’ll never be short of in the United Kingdom is heritage. There are no fewer than 380,000 listed buildings on our shores, and with many of them now able to be used as holiday homes we take a look at the unique insurance requirements that come with owning your very own slice of history.

Specialist Insurance for Listed Holiday Lets 

As the owner of a listed property you’ll no doubt be familiar with the sometimes stringent guidelines and regulations surrounding your holiday home. For this reason we offer listed property owners a specialist and bespoke policy, understanding that because your holiday home is like no other, your insurance shouldn’t be either.

Here are just a few of the areas you’ll be covered for when you choose our insurance for listed holiday lets:

Archaeological Costs up to £250,000

Damage to a holiday home can be potentially catastrophic, particularly in lost bookings, expense and the stress of returning your property to its former glory.  With listed buildings this process can also be complex; you may require archaeological or rescue work to salvage original materials in order to perform the necessary restorations.

Our policy covers these costs for you, meaning you’ll have the support and understanding of Boshers when it comes to the requirements placed on you by local authorities.

20% of your sum insured to meet local council requirements

If a listed property is damaged the local council will often impose certain conditions upon the restoration of the property.  We know and understand this process, so our policy offers a further 20% of your buildings sum insured to cover the expense of meeting these requirements in the event your property is damaged as the result of an insured event, such as fire or flood.

Loss of rental income

If your holiday home does become uninhabitable as the result of something outside your control such as fire or flood it can have serious financial consequences.  Restoring a listed property will often take longer than a standard holiday home, meaning the potential loss of income can be even greater.

If the worst does happen our insurance Policy really is here to support you.

Our Loss of Income cover means you’ll not need to foot the bill for the potential loss of bookings and cancellations you have to make while you get your property ready to take guests again.

Experience tells us that whilst in an ideal world all bookings would be made early, for some a higher proportion will be taken at the last minute. We’ll be able to look at bookings taken for a similar period in previous years in order to make sure you get the right amount of cover for the losses you’re incurring.

Experience and Expertise

When you insure your listed property with Boshers you’ll not only benefit from more than 20 years of specialist holiday home insurance experience, you’ll also be teaming up with the UK’s leader in providing insurance for properties just like yours.

Our Policies are underwritten by Ecclesiastical, who insure more Grade I listed buildings than any other insurer, including 42 of the 43 cathedrals in the UK.

Together you can be sure you’ll get the perfect blend of holiday home and listed building experience, ensuring you have the cover that you need.

Boshers are specialist providers of Listed Holiday Home Insurance. For more information on how a specialist insurer can help and support your holiday home business, please give us a call on 01237 429444. 

Follow this link for posts similar to Insurance for Listed Holiday Lets with Heritage and other useful resources for holiday home owners.

You may also find the following post for Listed Holiday Let owners of interest: