Holiday Lettings EPC’s – Are they really required?

Last Updated on April 5, 2011 by admin

On 30th June 2011 a piece of legislation comes into effect that will ensure that an Energy Performance Certificate or EPC is required on Holiday Lettings. This will bring Holiday Lets into line with other properties that need an EPC, such as those currently required on sales and rental basis.

As of the 30th June 2011 any property that is let on a holiday basis for a combined period of four months or more in a calendar year will be required to have an Energy Performance Certificate. This change is an attempt by the Department of Communities and Local Government to improve the EPC requirements and to encourage potential improvements in holiday rentals.

Read on here

2 replies
  1. Sara
    Sara says:

    Estate agent friends have told me that it is location and price that determine a purchase. An EPC only adds cost and complexity to the vendor and to sale proceedure.
    Holiday rentals are already overburdened with legislation and are in a competitive market Many holiday rentals are in old, rural or seaside. properties that are expensive to maintain. Responsible owners will be endeavouring to minimise the energy costs. This 'one size fits all' type of legislation is useless

  2. Keith
    Keith says:

    I work as an Energy Assessor and have to admit that I see little virtue in extending the coverage of EPCs in this way. The silver lining is that the regulations require an EPC if the property is let for 4 months or more per calendar year. For 2011 this is from July, when the regulations come into force, to Dec so many owners will escape this year. Once issued the EPC is valid for 10 years so the cost of £40-£60 is spread over at least 160 weeks rental.


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.