Holiday letting tips

Holiday letting tipsAs a holiday home owner there’s so much to think about; from guest safety to website photography and Facebook posts to the internal fixtures and fittings. Or even who’s doing the changeovers and mowing the lawns before those guests roll up the driveway.

The good news is that we’re here to help. We talk with holiday homeowners and letting agents every day giving us an insight into many aspects of holiday letting. As a result we’ve put together some of our most useful articles containing holiday letting tips all in one place.

No matter if you’re looking for ideas on how to cut electricity bills or keep the visiting kids safe in the garden, here are some of our top holiday letting tips when it comes to getting the most out of your holiday home this year….

Keeping your guests safe – checks to make before the peak season

You’ll undoubtedly want your guests to have a great time in your cottage and that means that they’ll also need to have a safe time. There are a number of checks and processes you should have in place and these should always be done prior to the busy summer season.

Here are a few checks that you need to tick off the to-do list as a priority:

How to make your cottages dog friendly

There are nearly nine million dog owners in the UK and almost 40% of visitors now want to take their pet with them on holiday. If you’re looking to make the most of this continually growing market or want to fine-tune your cottage to welcome our furry friends then here are some great pointers…

Engaging with the growing green tourism market

It’s not just a welcoming cottage for our trusted canines that piques potential booking interest, as more and more of us are becoming driven by sourcing eco-friendly accommodation. A whopping 58% of English consumers surveyed by VisitEngland indicated they’d want to stay in green accommodation with awards or environmentally friendly practices. Here’s how to communicate your green credentials and a few ideas to grow them, too…

How to make your cottage a haven for families

If you’re welcoming young children into your cottage this year, you’ll need to answer all of the needs that your paying parents arrive with. Here are just a few ideas on how to make your cottage perfect for each family, no matter what the weather….

Keeping children safe on outdoor play equipment

If you’re welcoming children to your cottage then it’s certainly not uncommon to have an outdoor play area for them to enjoy. Ever wondered what you need to do in order to keep them as safe as possible whilst playing on your outdoor equipment? Here’s our guide on everything you should be doing in order to minimise the risks of an accident…

How to make a first impression

Your guests will only ever walk into your home for the first time once. It’s therefore vital you achieve that wow factor which will leave a positive lasting impression. Hampers are an easy and popular welcome gift for guests and, if used well, can start someone’s holiday off on the right foot. Here’s how to get the content right whilst also catering for those with allergies and those who like a tipple!

How to get your property photography right

A photo speaks a thousand words, so getting them right is definitely a priority! Here’s our guide to make sure your images are immaculate. Also included are some elements you might not have thought of until your photographer has made his way home!

Increase bookings by promoting your cottage as a destination

Visitors spend 80% of their time outside of your cottage, yet the average cottage website has 80% of its content focussed on what’s inside. Here’s how to promote your destination and experience in order to grab people’s attention and bookings…

Become more energy efficient

Energy bills across the UK risen considerably; by up to 10% this year and for some by more than 30% in the past 30 months. Being energy efficient is becoming increasingly important, not only to prove your eco credentials but also to keep costs down. Here’s a few ideas on how to do just that…

Electric vehicle charging points

The UK is going electric when it comes to cars and the growth continues to be exponential.  In 2012 there were just 2,254 electric cars sold in England. Fast forward to 2015 and that figure was hitting 30,000. Last year? Near 60,000 electric plugin cars were sold. If you want to welcome this growing trend of traveller then here’s all you need to know about your electric hook-up point….

Getting your insurance right

We’ve been working with holiday home owners for more than 30 years and we’re specialists in making sure that cottages across the UK have the insurance in place that they need. For more information on insuring your holiday home or cottage complex please give our experienced team a call on 01237 429 444.

holiday letting public liability

holiday letting public liability

As a holiday homeowner you’re sure to take pride and care in the service you give to each guest. You’ll want them to have a great time and to return home safely with some magical memories. However, sometimes accidents or incidents completely outside of your control can happen. This is the time at which your holiday home insurance intermediary and insurer are here to help you. Boshers are committed to continually review and expand the cover we offer to our holiday homeowners. We’re pleased to announce we have increased our Holiday Letting Public Liability cover from £5m to a market-leading £10m.

Let’s explain why we’ve taken this step and what’s covered.

What is Holiday Letting Public Liability cover?

Holiday cottages across the country welcome millions of guests throughout the year. Public Liability Insurance covers the holiday homeowner if those visitors were to suffer injury, death, disease or illness during their stay, the cause of which is in someway attributed to the property owner.

Whether there’s been a slip that’s resulted in a bumped head, or a far worse accident, this cover will ensure you are protected from the legal costs and any compensation that may be due.

Levels of cover

Unlike Employers Liability, there is no legal requirement for a holiday homeowner to have Public Liability cover. However, if you welcome paying guests into your cottage you could be left heavily out of pocket if any of those staying with you were to suffer an accident. It should therefore be a case of how much cover do you need, rather than if you need it or not.

It’s previously been recommended that cover of £3 million for small properties (sleeping up to two guests) and £5 million for larger properties, would be sufficient. By offering our holiday homeowners up to £10 million we’re giving complete peace of mind that should anything happen, our policy will provide you with an unrivalled level of support.

Why have we increased our cover?

We specialise in holiday home insurance; it’s what we do day-in, day-out. With that in mind we’re constantly monitoring the marketplace, speaking with cottage owners and other industry experts. This means that we’re able to keep our finger on the pulse of what holiday homeowners need. We are able to respond accordingly by improving our holiday home insurance cover to meet industy demands and market changes.

We want our insurance to be the complete package for holiday let owners. Increasing our holiday letting public liability cover to £10m is another step towards this. Our clients can rest assured that they and their holiday home or cottage complex is getting the protection required.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. Would you like an insurance quote for your holiday letting property? Give us a call on 01237 429444.

bunk beds

bunk bedsBunk beds will undoubtedly form great childhood memories for many of us; and when it comes to a holiday cottage or any other property they can be a real space saver. Is your holiday home family friendly? Do you already have, or are considering bunk beds? Here are a few pointers you need to consider…

What age are bunk beds suitable for?

It was always a dilemma; who gets the top bunk? In terms of the safety the answer should always be children over the age of six. Many modern bunk beds come with an upper weight limit. You may also want to invest in a night light which illuminates the room. This will allow children to climb safely up and down.

Whilst the bottom bunk is safe for children under the age of six, babies and toddlers should sleep in their own separate cot.

With this in mind it’s worth checking with guests on the age of their children before arrival so you can prepare and make any necessary arrangements.

Only allow one child on the bunk bed

If children visiting your holiday home don’t have bunk beds at home they can cause a lot of excitement and novelty when they first arrive. Be clear with parents that only one child should be on the top bunk at any time; it’s always worth having this information readily available for guests to adhere to.

Where do you place your bunk bed?

We’ve already said that they can be a real space saver, but you’ll need to consider where you place your bed very carefully if it’s in a smaller room. Your bunk bed should be well away from windows and also more than two meters away from any light fitting.

Placing carpet under your bed

Research has also shown that children falling onto carpet rather than a hard bare floor can significantly reduce the risk and nature of injuries, so if you can, place your bunk beds in a room that is carpeted.  If your room isn’t carpeted it’s worth placing carpet or a rug underneath the bed itself to avoid it moving around and to increase stability.

Installing a guard rail and a well-fitted mattress

One of the most common causes of bunk bed injuries is falling from the top bunk whilst sleeping. Therefore it’s vital that bunk beds come with rails for the top bunk. These should be:

  • 16cm taller (minimum) than the mattress
  • fitted on both sides; and
  • have a gap of 300mm to allow access

Your mattress should also be well-fitted; you don’t want it to be able to be easily moved around within the frame of the bed. Also bear in mind that when it comes to purchasing a mattress for your top bunk, you’ll need to give careful consideration to the depth of the mattress in order to meet the requirements of the guard rail height.

In addition to prevent trapped heads and limbs it’s important to ensure that the distance between:

  • bed frame and bottom of guardrails is not more than 7.5cm
  • rails is not more than 7cm

Additional information on child safety and bunk beds can be found on page 20 of the Child Product Safety Guide available to download here.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. For information on how specialist insurance can help protect your holiday home business, call us on 01237 429444

Dog friendly holiday home insurance

Dog friendly holiday home insuranceDog friendly holiday home insurance is well worth considering if you offer pet friendly self-catering accommodation. The dog-friendly tourism market is one that’s grown exponentially over the past decade. This isn’t surprising considering that a staggering one in four UK households has a dog to call their own.

With more and more of us taking our dogs and other pets on holiday with us, have you asked yourself whether your holiday home insurance is as dog friendly as your accommodation?

Some insurance policies (even those with accidental damage cover included) exclude damage caused by pets. Therefore if a guests golden retriever unwittingly knocked the television off its stand you’d not be able to claim.

When it comes to our own holiday home insurance we’re striving to offer owners an unrivalled range of cover. So we of course include your guest’s pet causing an accident too. However there are a few things for you to consider before welcoming dogs into your holiday home.

Things to consider with your insurance when welcoming dogs

What’s covered?

When you welcome dogs into your holiday home this will inevitably lead to a heavier level of wear and tear over time. This won’t be covered within an insurance policy, which is why some holiday homeowners will make an additional charge for those bringing dogs with them to cover the costs of the additional time it may take to clean and remove dog hairs.

Your insurance is there for a one-off identifiable event; if for example a dog were to knock some items off of a shelf causing them to fall and shatter, this would be covered under our policy, but not if your insurer excluded damage by pets from theirs.

Minimising the potential for problems

If you welcome dogs to your holiday home, you’ll want to be sure that their owners know and understand their obligations before they arrive.

Consider outlining a few ground rules at booking such as:

  • Setting a maximum number of dogs allowed per booking.
  • Indicating that dogs can’t be left alone or unsupervised in the holiday accommodation.
  • Dogs are not allowed in the bedrooms or on furniture.
  • That dogs are up to date with vaccinations, worming and flea treatments.
  • That dogs are in good health.

You may also want to communicate this in your welcome pack to ensure everyone is clear on where the dog can and can’t go within your holiday home.

Advice for pet friendly accommodation

If you’ve been welcoming pets for some time you’ll have no doubt found the best way to accommodate them.  If you’re currently considering it then here’re a few tips. They’ll help ensure wear and tear is kept to a minimum and you’re ready to greet a man’s best friend.

  1. Consider having tiled or wooden flooring on the ground floor of your property; it’ll be far easier to clean up hairs and mud than that beautifully laid carpet!
  2. Stair gates aren’t just for children; they can also be used to stop pets making their way upstairs!
  3. Some dogs like life on two paws as much as they do on four; ensure that furnishings, ornaments and vases are kept in places they can’t be knocked down or seized upon for a good chew!
  4. Fix flat screen televisions to the wall rather than placing on consoles; a broken television is one of the most common household claims in the UK.
  5. Use a vacuum cleaner with a “HEPA” (High Efficiency Particulate Air) rated filter to reduce allergens which can affect people who are susceptible to allergies or asthma.

Welcoming guests with assistance dogs to your holiday home

To help you understand the rights of guests with assistance dogs, The Equality and Human Rights Commission and VisitEngland have produced an informative publication mentioned in our previous article, link below:

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. For information on how our dog friendly holiday home insurance can help protect your holiday letting property, call us on 01237 429444.


Holiday home insurance cost

Holiday home insurance costA question that all holiday homeowners will have asked themselves, or perhaps wonder when their insurance is up for renewal. How much should I be paying and is it value for money? So how much should your holiday home insurance cost?

When it comes to insurance, the true cost is the price you would pay should the worst happen. Especially if you find you’re not fully covered. What would you do, if for example your holiday home were to become uninhabitable? This could be due to a fire or the severe flooding we’ve seen across the UK in recent years.

In this case having the wrong insurance in place at a lower premium would be a false economy. Thus a proportion or at worst all the cost of restoring your cottage potentially falling at your feet.

For that reason, we’ve taken a look at some of the key areas you need to focus on when arranging holiday home insurance.

Is your insurer aware that you let your holiday home to paying guests?

Most conventional home insurance policies exlude cover for letting to paying guests. Therefore relying on a home insurance policy to cover your second home for holiday letting is false economy. In the event of a claim the policy may not provide you with the cover you need.

How much would it cost to rebuild your holiday home?

Understanding the cost of rebuilding your holiday home, rather than its current market value is very important. The cost of rebuilding your holiday home is central to ensuring you have the correct buildings insurance in place. This is the maximum amount that your insurer will need to pay out should the worst happen, and therefore the amount you should be insured up to. Under declaring the cost of rebuilding your holiday home to save premium could mean you are underinsured. The effect of this is that you may have to meet a proportion of the cost of a claim yourself. The amount would depend on the degree of underinsurance but far outweigh any saving made on your holiday home insurance cost.

If your holiday home falls within a range of standard house types the Association of British Insurers (ABI) have a useful rebuilding cost calculator to aid you in getting the right figure. You can read more about how to get your holiday home insurance buildings sums insured right here:

How high is your Public Liability cover?

With so many guests visiting holiday homes across the UK each year, not having an adequate level of Public Liability insurance is a potential risk. Whether there’s been a slip that resulted in cuts and bruises, or a far worse accident, this area of cover will keep your holiday cottage protected against the legal costs and any compensation that may occur.

Our own policy covers our holiday homeowners for up to £10 million, so it’s worth checking your own Policy to review your current level of cover.

Loss of rental income

Holiday homes come with specialist circumstances and therefore need specialist insurance.  A key component of this is loss of rental income, which steps in to support you if your holiday home were ever to become uninhabitable due to fire, flood or storm damage.

This cover ensures you’ll not lose out on the rental income you’d otherwise have gained during that period, which could be catastrophic, particularly if your holiday cottage were to be out of action during the peak summer months.

We encourage all holiday homeowners to check that they have this cover in place, and that they have an adequate level to cover their current rental income.

Our own policy offers our holiday homeowners £75,000 of loss of rental income over two years as standard. Is your rental income higher? We can extend your cover to reflect that.

Accidental damage and theft even whilst occupied by guests

We’ve covered off some of the larger and key areas of cover that make up your policy, but there can be some added extras that support you and really add value to the premiums you pay each year when you need to call upon them.

Guests bring with them plenty to think of when it comes to insurance; what happens if they break something? Stain that new carpet or rip those beautiful curtains? How about if something were to be stolen whilst your guests are staying?

As specialists in holiday home insurance for over 25 years, we understand the day to day running of holiday cottages. Our holiday home insurance policy reflects that in the broad range of cover we provide. Whether it’s accidental damage, covering you for that theft or getting you back on your feet after a significant event, we’re here to support you.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. Need an insurance quote for your holiday let? Give us a call on 01237 429444.


insure your home and holiday home

insure your home and holiday home As specialists in holiday let insurance we advise thousands of holiday cottage owners across the United kingdom. Providing them with policies tailored to the unique needs of their holiday homes. We also offer many of them that same level of service when it comes to insuring their own home. Whether you live onsite or miles from your holiday let, there are benefits to having your insurance under one roof. So here are a few good reasons to insure your home and holiday let with one insurer.

Simplicity is bliss

Having a single provider brings with it simplicity. All of your policies can be brought in line with a single renewal date. Meaning both payments can be taken at the same time. This can bring peace of mind, remove uncertainty and reduce the level of admin you need to undertake in relation to insuring your home and holiday let.

A lack of grey areas

This simplicity extends to when you need to make a claim. If you live on the same site as your holiday cottage(s) there can sometimes be a degree of confusion as to who you need to contact. For example, if an accident were to occur between your house and your holiday home, where is the boundary drawn and which policy should you claim under?

Having it all under a single provider allows you the comfort of knowing who to contact, no matter what the circumstances or the query you may have.

What if you live onsite?

Holiday letting can take many forms, such as an annexe attached to your home, or a complex of holiday cottages in your grounds. If you live onsite it is almost always best for you to insure your home and holiday let property with the same insurer so there is no doubt who will deal with a claim when one arises.

What if you live miles away from your holiday cottage?

It’s not uncommon for holiday homeowners to live a considerable distance from their cottage.  In this case, having your home and holiday home insurance with a single provider can be particularly beneficial when you use the property for your own vacations. In this example you’ll always know that anything you take with you such as personal possessions, valuables and sports equipment including bikes can be covered without ambiguity.

Continuity of service

The good news is when you contact us you’re likely to speak to someone you’ve dealt with before. Our holiday homeowners are never passed from pillar to post; no matter what your question or which policy you’re wanting to talk to us about, you’ll speak to an experienced member of the Boshers team.

The benefits of specialism

We specialise in holiday home insurance and speak with cottage owners every day of the week. We bring our knowledge and experience to ensure that your home and holiday let both have the most suitable cover. Should the worse happen, we always aim to support you in getting back on your feet. Our understanding of your circumstances plays a big role in ensuring we’re able to achieve this. Speak with our team today. They’ll highlight other reasons to insure your home and holiday let together through Boshers.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home and property insurance to holiday cottage owners across the country. For more information on our policies have a look around Boshers website. For a quote or to ask any question please give our team a call on 01237 429444.

Insurance Premium Tax

Insurance Premium TaxIn the 2016 Autumn Statement, the Chancellor confirmed an increase of 2.0% in the standard rate of Insurance Premium Tax (IPT). [The tax paid each time an insurance policy is purchased in the UK]. The increase is effective for new policies and renewals due on or after the 1st June 2017.

The standard rate of IPT is therefore rising from 10% to 12%. This is the second increase in the past 12 months.

This change will affect the majority of policies purchased by private individuals and small businesses including insurance for self-catering holiday lets where the risks are located in the UK.

Insurance Premium Tax increase effective 1st June 2017

Affected insurance policies with a start date after 31st May 2017 will have IPT charged at the new rate. This will increase the cost of a Holiday Home Insurance policy with a net premium of £500 by £10.00 bringing the total premium to £560 including Insurance Premium Tax at 12.0%.

Higher rate IPT remains unchanged at 20% and applies to:

  • travel insurance
  • warranties for some mechanical and electrical goods

According to the Treasury the IPT increase will bring in an additional £4.06bn for the Treasury by 2022*. This was the second largest revenue raiser in the Summer Budget.

James Dalton, director of general insurance policy at the Association of British Insurers (ABI), called on the government to halt the increase.

“This tax penalises hard working families, as well as businesses, who have done the right thing by taking out insurance to protect against many of life’s uncertainties,” he said. “This latest hike must be the last. The next government must freeze this tax, to give hard working households and businesses a break.”

Insurance Premium Tax was first introduced to the UK in 1994. The rise on the 1st June is the 6th increase in the standard rate since its introduction:

  • From 1 October 1994, a single rate of 2.5% was charged
  • 1 April 1997: increased to 4%
  • 1 July 1999: increased to 5%
  • 4 January 2011: increased to 6%
  • 1 November 2015: increased to 9.5%
  • 1 October 2016: increased to 10%

*This is according to HMRC’s own figures summarising the impact of the move.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. Require a quote for your holiday apartment, cottage or complex? Please give us a call on 01237 429444.

holiday home insurance questions

holiday home insurance questionsWhether you’ve recently bought a holiday home or survived your 30th season, it’s equally important to have the right insurance. As holiday home insurance specialists we answer questions from cottage owners on a daily basis. We’ve pulled together six of the most frequently asked holiday home insurance questions to give you a quick insight into the cover you potentially need.

We’d like to use our cottage for our own holidays, and for friends and family.  Would this be covered under a holiday home insurance policy?

Your holiday home needs to be available to paying guests for the majority of time throughout the year (the amount of time may depend on your individual policy). What this means is that you, or your family and friends, will be fine to use your cottage as long as it remains available to paying guests for the required period in any given year.

If something goes wrong, does the Holiday Home Insurance policy cover loss of rental income?

Insurance is there to help you through tough times, and we know that if something were to happen to your holiday home you not only face the potential bill to fix the issue, but also the cost of the rental income you would have otherwise gained whilst you wait for it to be repaired.

For this reason, our own policy automatically covers cottage owners for up to two years’ loss of rental income up to a sum of £75,000 should your property become unavailable as the result of an insured event such as storm damage or fire. Does your holiday home have an annual gross rental income in excess of £37500 (£75000 over two years)? We can provide additional cover on request. We’re here to get you back on your feet and we feel this is a great part of the cover we’re able to offer cottage owners.

What happens if a guest accidentally breaks something, or even steals items from our cottage?

It’s an old cliché, but accidents do happen. If you have hundreds of guests enjoying your holiday home each year, there is a small chance that some items in your cottage may get damaged. The good news is that this would be covered under the accidental damage section of your policy, subject to an excess.

Cover for theft by guests is also automatically included, although we of course hope you won’t need it!

I employ a cleaner and a few others on a part time basis; would our holiday home insurance policy cover us for this?

If you employ staff, even if on a part time basis, it is a legal requirement to have Employers Liability insurance. This is covered under our own holiday home policy as standard. You will be issued a certificate upon taking your insurance out. Remember that you need to retain this with your records.

Do I have to regularly inspect the holiday home?

As part of our specialist insurance cover you will need to inspect the property on a regular basis. Regular inspections are also good practise from a customer service perspective. The policy includes the condition that:

  • whenever your holiday home is left unoccupied, you will arrange that the premises are inspected at least every 14 days.

This inspection can be carried out by you, or by an authorised person responsible to you. It ensures your cottage is kept in tip top condition for those happy guests.

My holiday let is an annexe of my main property, can I cover it?

You certainly can, as long as any adjoining door between your home and holiday letting annexe is kept locked. The holiday let insurance needs to be kept separate. In situations such as this we would also look to provide home insurance for your main residence.

Remember that this article only gives a brief indication of some of the cover involved in insuring your holiday home.  For further advice please contact us to ensure you have the cover your cottage really needs.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. If you have any more holiday home insurance questions please give us a call on 01237 429444.

For further information on UK holiday home insurance visit the website page most relevant to you:

Modern Living Room Holida Home Contents Insurance

Modern Living Room Holida Home Contents InsuranceWhen you’re renewing your holiday let property insurance there are a few points you need to bear in mind. As you’re aware, a holiday let is very different to your average home, so having specialist insurance is vital. You’ll want to be sure you’re fully covered when something goes wrong and you need to make a claim.

Our holiday home insurance incorporates a lot of factors as standard, including public liability, accidental damage and full theft cover. When coupled with loss of rental income cover, these will really help you out should you need them. This is why they are automatically covered, but there are some aspects we’ll need to know about in order to give you the best holiday let property insurance possible.


Our Holiday Home Insurance automatically covers employer’s liability for £10,000,000 and you’ll receive a certificate stating this with your policy. It is important that you keep your employees in mind when discussing your policy with us, particularly if you’re renewing and your circumstances have changed. This is particularly important for larger holiday cottage complexes who may employ a housekeeper or maintenance staff. If you run a payroll we’ll need to know your Employers Reference Number (ERN) for short.

Building work

If you’re renewing and have had any building work done, you’ll have to let us know so we can get your cover right. If you’re taking out a new policy, and are planning on carrying out any work, whether that be demolition or building, we will also need to know. Letting us have a clear idea of what will be changing in the next 12 months will make it easier for us to provide you with the right cover and advise you when you’ll need to update it further.

Hot tubs and pools

We know that guests love hot tubs and pools, but you’ll also have to make it clear that you have one (or both!) when it comes to taking out your insurance. If you’re renewing and have recently installed something such as a hot tub, swimming pool or other guest facilities then you’ll need to let us know.


We want your holiday home to be secure. That said, it’s unlikely we’ll ask you to meet strict security requirements unless your holiday home contents has a high value. If you’ve made alterations to your cottage security by installing something such as an alarm system, then please do let us know when renewing your policy. You may consider using a key safe for convenience, we have no problem with this but if your holiday home is insured elsewhere do check to ensure your not compromising your cover. If in doubt call us for a quote.

Increasing holiday let property insurance sums insured

Whether it’s holiday let property insurance to cover contents, buildings or public and employers liability, the most important part of an insurance policy is ensuring that you have the right level of cover for your holiday home. Renewal is a great time to review your sums insured to see if they need to be increased. Bear in mind that you will need the cover if the worst should happen. Don’t be tempted to underinsure no matter how many years you’ve been claims free. Our goal is always for you to have the right cover for your needs.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. For more information on how a specialist insurer can help and support your holiday home business, please give us a call on 01237 429444.

For further information on UK holiday home insurance visit the website page most relevant to you:

Loss of holiday letting income insurance

Loss of holiday letting income insuranceFor many holiday homeowners across the UK 2016 was a great year. For some it may have even been record breaking. As we approach the new year with optimism and await the January influx of Easter and summer bookings, have you considered what you’d do if your holiday home became unavailable for all of those guests to stay in?

Whilst fire, flooding and other insurable damage to your property will be something you’ll want to keep to the back of your mind and cross your fingers it never happens, for some it will, and for those people cover for loss of holiday letting income can be a real business saver.

Why loss of income insurance is so important for holiday home owners

Imagine if your own home were to become uninhabitable due to a fire, flood or severe storm damage. You’d find yourself waking up to some sobering consequences; having to find somewhere to stay, arranging the repairs and saving as many of your belongings as possible, all whilst continuing to live your daily life.

As a holiday homeowner you have an added concern; for every day your holiday home is out of action you’ll be feeling the pinch as you lose the money you would otherwise have gained from paying guests during that period.

If that time comes in the height of the summer season the financial implications could be doubled or even trebled while you race to get back on the market.

As specialists in holiday home insurance we understand the consequences of your cottage becoming uninhabitable. For that reason we offer to cover the loss of rental income you would have potentially gained for up to two years.

We’re here to support you should the worse happen. We’re here to get you back on your feet as quickly as possible.

How much cover do you currently have?

Having the cover is great, but you’ll need to make sure you have the right amount of cover; too little and you’ll feel the pinch, too much and you’ll be over-insured and paying for cover that you don’t need.

When it comes to our own insurance policy, we cover holiday cottages for a minimum of £75,000 of lost income over two years. So the questions for you would be, is that enough? Do you need to take out more cover with us? Our team, who talk to cottage owners just like you each and every day, will be happy to discuss this with you whenever you call.

If you’re insured elsewhere make sure you not only have this cover in place, but that you have an adequate level of insurance to cover your potential loss.

Unsure of how much cover you need? Take a look at your gross revenue for the past two years – is it higher or lower than £75,000?

Knowing you’ve got extensive cover for all scenarios

Insuring with a specialist provider has its benefits for holiday cottage owners; our cover is comprehensive and as a result of our knowledge and experience with holiday home owners we’re able to provide a wide range of cover.

Our own loss of insurance is for business interruption, meaning that we’ll take into account the letting history of your property, along with its future potential, rather than cover for holidays that have already been booked and paid for by future guests.

This can be quite a significant difference should you find yourself facing the need to rely on it. Always make sure you know the level and breadth of cover you have in place.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance which includes cover for loss of holiday letting income. Cover is triggered following a claim for an insured peril. For information on how we can help support your holiday letting business call 01237 429444.

Boshers are proud to be one of a limited number of UK brokers to offer Ecclesiastical Home Insurance: