You, your holiday let apartment and your insurance


Last Updated on March 15, 2012 by admin

You, your holiday let apartment and your insurance.
When purchasing an apartment to holiday let, you’ll rightly focus on the return on investment. As part of this research you’ll establish that there is sufficient demand for an additional holiday let in the location of your choice. As with any business decision it is important to stand back and let your head rule your heart! It’s important to avoid the following pitfalls:

If you are using a mortgage to finance your purchase make sure your mortgage provider is aware of your intention to holiday let the property.

Check with the freeholder / managing agent that there are no restrictions on the use of the property that will prevent you from letting it for short term holidays.

Likewise check with the freeholder / managing agent that the buildings insurance policy for the apartment block includes property owners liability for the shared areas and that holiday letting is an acceptable use of the apartments by the insurer.

At this point it is also wise to check if the buildings insurance extends to cover fixtures and fittings within the apartment such as fitted bathrooms, kitchens, and fitted bedroom furniture and wooden flooring and if so is accidental damage included? In our experience the buildings insurance for many blocks of flats and apartment blocks does not extend to cover the fixtures and fittings within the apartment and certainly not in the event of accidental damage.

Now that you have established the above, how can Boshers help?

We can provide you with a Holiday Home Insurance Contents Policy for your apartment to include cover for:

  • Your general contents
  • Fitted kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms and flooring
  • Property owners liability insurance for commercial holiday letting

It is important that you insure for the correct replacement value, remember in the event of a claim your contents will be replaced on a new for old basis, therefore your sum insured must be sufficient to replace everything at the recommended retail price. Likewise with fitted kitchens, bathrooms and bedroom furniture you must insure for like for like replacement including the cost of installation and debris removal.

Follow this link for posts similar to `You, your holiday let apartment and your insurance‘ and other useful resources for holiday home owners

For further information on UK holiday home insurance visit the website page most relevant to you:

Thank you for reading `You, your holiday let apartment and your insurance‘.

Should you have any queries or require a holiday home insurance quotation for your commercially let second home or apartment call us on 01237 429444 or visit us at


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.