Last Updated on July 30, 2009 by Mark Lavington

Gas Safe Register For Landlords and Accommodation Providers Including Holiday Home Owners. A new gas registration scheme was introduced on April 1 in Great Britain. The new scheme, Gas Safe Register, is delivered under an agreement with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and replaces the CORGI gas register which ended on 31 March. Landlords’ legal duties in relation to domestic gas under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 apply to a wide range of accommodation, including residential premises provided for rent by private landlords, local authorities, housing associations, housing co-operatives and hostels.It remains a legal requirement for all landlords including holiday let owners, to have an annual safety check on all gas appliances and flues provided in a rental property. However, since April 1 a Gas Safe registered engineer, not a CORGI installer, must carry out the safety check. If you let any properties of this kind, you must now make sure that pipe work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition and subject to an annual safety check carried out only by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
In all cases, all gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) must be certified as safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.

A record of safety checks must be provided to the tenants within 28 days of completing the check, or to each new tenant before they move in. You must also keep a copy of the safety check record for two years.

For a leaflet, email ‘Landlord Leaflet Request’ to

Holiday letting and holiday home owners will also find the links below of interest:

For Self-Catering holiday cottage owners in Scotland, the Scottish Government has produced the following:

You may also find the following posts for holiday home owners of interest:

Follow this link for posts similar to Gas Safe Register For Landlords and Accommodation Providers Including Holiday Home Owners and other useful resources for holiday home owners

For further information on UK holiday home insurance visit the website page most relevant to you:

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.