Last Updated on January 14, 2016 by Mark Lavington
As the country braces itself for potentially ice-cold conditions this weekend, forgive us for reminding you of the importance of protecting your holiday home from the cold.
The advice comes as the BBC forecast that temperatures could dive as low as -15C on Saturday and Sunday evening, the lowest since March 2013. Conditions such as these can lead to the bursting of domestic pipes, with the cold winter of 2010 creating more than £1 billion of damage inside a 37 day period.
We see more burst pipe and escape of water insurance claims than any other; the damage caused can be significant but there are several simple steps holiday homeowners can take in order to minimise their risk.
The firm has issued guidance including a number of steps you can take in order to reduce the chances of potential damage:
- If your holiday home is to be unoccupied during the winter ensure you turn the water off at the stopcock.
- If the stopcock is not turned off, and the heating system drained, ensure the temperature throughout your holiday home is kept above 7C.
- Ensure you arrange for regular checks to be made on the property during any period in which it isn’t occupied.
- Look to lag and insulate pipes, boilers and storage tanks, particularly if exposed to the elements.
- Make sure your heating and water systems are regularly checked by a professional and consider installing a leak detection system or automatic stopcock, particularly if you live away from the property.
- Refer to your property insurance policy for details on the exact conditions that must be met in order to ensure your cover is not compromised in the event of a claim
The damage caused by burst pipes can be significant to any property homeowner, potentially leaving areas of your home uninhabitable for a considerable amount of time. Being proactive in reacting to potentially severe weather could save you considerable potential cost and disruption.
For more guidance on property checks during extreme weather and avoiding burst pipes please read:
- Tips to avoid burst pipes for holiday homeowners
- Holiday Home Winter Maintenance: 10 Checks to make now
- How being proactive can limit damage to your holiday home during extreme weather
Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. For more information on how a specialist insurer can help and support your holiday home business, please give us a call on 01237 429444.
* Source Association Of British Insurers (ABI) – Avoid frozen and burst pipe problems this winter warns ABI