Last Updated on October 1, 2021 by admin
As the country braces itself for potentially ice-cold conditions this winter, forgive us for reminding you of the importance of protecting your holiday home from the cold.
We see more burst pipe and escape of water insurance claims than any other. The damage caused can be significant but there are several simple steps holiday homeowners can take to minimise their risk.
Boshers has issued guidance including a number of steps you can take in order to reduce the chances of potential damage
- If your holiday home is to be unoccupied during the winter ensure you turn the water off at the stopcock.
- If the stopcock is not turned off, and the heating system drained, ensure the temperature throughout your holiday home is kept above 7C.
- Ensure you arrange for regular checks to be made on the property during any period in which it isn’t occupied.
- Look to lag and insulate pipes, boilers and storage tanks, particularly if exposed to the elements.
- Make sure your heating and water systems are regularly checked by a professional and consider installing a leak detection system or automatic stopcock, particularly if you live away from the property.
- Refer to your property insurance policy for details on the exact conditions that must be met in order to ensure your cover is not compromised in the event of a claim
Damage caused by burst pipes can be significant
The damage caused by burst pipes can be significant, potentially leaving your home uninhabitable for a considerable amount of time. Being proactive in reacting to potentially severe weather could save you considerable cost and disruption.
For more guidance on property checks during extreme weather and avoiding burst pipes please read:
- Tips to avoid burst pipes for holiday homeowners
- Holiday Home Winter Maintenance: 10 Checks to make now
- How being proactive can limit damage to your holiday home during extreme weather
Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. For information on how specialist insurance can help support your holiday home business, give us a call on 01237 429444.
* Source Association Of British Insurers (ABI) – Avoid frozen and burst pipe problems this winter warns ABI