public and employers liability insurance

public and employers liability insurance

Every holiday home is different, so making sure you have the right insurance in place for your holiday let property is incredibly important. You may think that a standard home insurance policy will do the job, but when guests are paying to stay in your holiday let , the Public and Employers Liability Insurance from basic home insurance won’t cover you. Nor will it if you have any employees (cleaners, gardeners, seasonal staff etc.).

Whilst we understand that you do your best to keep your guests and employees safe, we know that accidents can, and do, happen. If someone does get hurt whilst staying at your holiday let having the right insurance can save you a lot of time, money, and stress.

In this post, we take a look at Public Liability Insurance and Employer’s Liability Insurance.

Why are Public Liability Insurance and Employer’s Liability Insurance important?

Public Liability Insurance covers the legal liability of the policyholder for bodily injury, death, disease or illness. This means that should anything happen to your guests, you won’t be having to empty your pockets in legal or settlement fees. Whether there’s been a slip that resulted in a bumped head, or a far worse accident, Public Liability Insurance will keep your holiday let protected from legal costs and any compensation that may occur.

This works alongside Employer’s Liability Insurance, protecting you from the cost of compensation claims. If an employee claims to have an illness or injury from working for you, the bills will be taken care of.

You will be classed as an employer if you have a contract of service with anyone who helps you maintain your holiday let, whether spoken, written, or implied. This includes cleaners, gardeners, seasonal staff, and even volunteers.

Are Public and Employers Liability insurance necessary?

Employer’s Liability Insurance is a legal requirement, regardless of whether you have a cleaner once a month or once a week, you need to have the right insurance. Even if your workers are only seasonal, comprehensive cover is still a necessity.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) enforces the requirement, and you could be fined at a rate of £2,500 for every day you have traded without Employer’s Liability Insurance.

The minimum legal requirement for Employer’s Liability Insurance is £5million, but in practice many insurers (including us) provide cover of £10million.

Whilst Public Liability Insurance is not a legal requirement, it is good business practice. You can keep your holiday let as secure and safe as you like, but if that one wobbly paving stone trips a guest up, or the path covered with wet leaves causes a slip, you could be facing some big fees.

With so many guests visiting your holiday let each year, not having Public Liability Insurance is a big risk to take. It is particularly important that this insurance is for holiday homes, as standard Public Liability Insurance will not cover you and your let.

How much cover do I get?

It is recommended that holiday let homeowners get Employer’s Liability Insurance coverage for £10million, and Public Liability Insurance of at least £5million for smaller properties (sleeping up to two guests) and £10million for larger properties.

Our Specialist Holiday Home Insurance Policy provides Employer’s Liability Insurance of £10million and Public Liability Insurance of £10million as standard.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. For more information on how a specialist insurer can help and support your holiday home business, please give us a call on 01237 429444.

For further information on UK holiday home insurance visit the website page most relevant to you:

buying a holiday cottage

buying a holiday cottageThe tourism industry is now worth more than £137 billion to the UK economy and with the latest Census figures showing that more than 1.6 million people in England now own a second home, could you be ready to join the queue of people buying a holiday cottage and welcoming guests through their doors?

We take a look at six areas to consider when buying a holiday cottage to let…

Location – an important consideration when buying a holiday cottage to let

If you’re deliberating over buying a holiday cottage to let, the likelihood is that it’s going to be away from your current place of residence. This comes with some added considerations; areas popular with tourism often carry with them a premium price, and also require a local knowledge to ensure you’re in the right place.

In some locations the difference a mile can make in potential rental value you can expect to gain, and the price you’ll have to pay can be massive.

Ensure you do your research; speak with a number of local agents, and also visit a range of properties in the locality to allow you a greater understanding of the market. You want to make sure what it is you’re buying is going to give you an adequate return.

Size matters

Who is going to want to stay in your property, and does the size therefore make it suitable?  If your holiday cottage is likely to be full of young families from spring to summer then it’s vital you have the space in which to accommodate them. You may also want to consider the space outside of your holiday home; does it have a large garden in which children can play? Or where romantic couples can watch the sun set?

Also bear in mind that the larger your holiday home is, the more maintenance and cleaning it will require. Who will be doing that for you? Are you factoring this into your on going running costs?

Local amenities

What is it that brings people to a certain location? Whilst getting the right sized property in the right spot will significantly increase your chances of bookings, it’s important to remember that guests will actually spend the majority of their time outside of your holiday home!

Tourist attractions, restaurants and pubs, walks and beaches; all these things will make great selling points when it comes to marketing your holiday cottage and it’s vital that as an industry we all work together in order to promote the destinations in which we live and work.


The type of property you buy and where, will ultimately boil down to how much you have to spend, but there are a few extra costs you need to take into account.

Additional taxes apply to any second home, the biggest of which is Stamp Duty. Last November the Government announced a new 3% surcharge will apply to each stamp duty band on any additional properties costing more than £40,000. These changes come into effect from April.

So if you’re looking at buying a holiday home for £250,000 bear in mind you’ll need an extra 8% (£20,000) on top. Click here for full details about Stamp Duty changes.

Registering as a Furnished Holiday Letting (FHL) will also affect your income tax, so do your research into how to qualify. More information on how to qualify can be found here:


Knowing UK holiday letting laws before you buy a holiday home is hugely important when it comes to understanding your rights and responsibilities.

From health and safety regulations to maintenance guidelines, ensure you you’re fully clued up before making that investment. Take a look at our health and safety guidance section for more information.

Specialist Holiday Letting Insurance

Once you’ve found your perfect property, you’ll need specialist holiday home insurance to protect you from incurring financial loss if your property suffers an insured peril.

Working with a specialist means they understand the risks you’re facing, and can provide you with the cover that you really need. Whether it’s Loss of Rent cover that ensures you don’t lose out should your holiday home become uninhabitable due to issues such as storm damage, or Accidental Damage making sure you don’t end up out of pocket if a guest damages your property, our team will speak with people just like you every day and will be able to help.

Boshers offer specialist holiday home insurance to owners across the UK. For more information on how a specialist insurer can help and support you if you’re buying a holiday cottage to let, please give us a call on 01237 429444.


wi-fi Q: On my farm I have three holiday cottages where I plan to offer Wi-Fi access to guests using a router located in the building’s roof. Not all guests are interested in using the Internet or checking email while on holiday, but an increasing number are so, to cover the cost of offering the service and any surcharges, which may arise due to excess downloading etc., I want to levy a nominal charge. Is it practical? Are there any snags that I should be aware of?
Ron Racher, Sherborne, Dorset
A: Courtesy of The Telegraph (Rick Maybury). Even though you are proposing a very small-scale system you can’t simply install a wireless router and allow your guests to access the web willy-nilly. There are a number of legal implications to be aware of, as detailed in the 1998 Data Protection Act and the Digital Economy Act 2010, and there are hefty fines for transgressors. The key issues are that you have to be able to identify and keep a record of your guest’s online activities in case they are involved in downloading illegal content, copyright infringement and so on. There’s a summary of the pertinent regulations on the Cyberair website at

Read the full answer here.

Holiday cottage owners contemplating adding any electrical sockets in their let properties should use a registered electrical contractor to ensure that the installation is safe and legal so as not to invalidate your holiday home insurance policy. It is also important to check that the contractor has their own liability insurance. Find out more here

As a holiday cottage owner you will also find the links below of interest:

For Self-Catering holiday cottage owners in Scotland, the Scottish Government has produced the following:

You may also find the following posts for holiday cottage owners of interest:

Follow this link for posts similar to Holiday cottage owner asks – Can I use my router as a Wi-Fi hotspot? other useful resources for holiday home owners

For further information on UK holiday home insurance visit the website page most relevant to you:

Holiday Let Owners – Beware The Big Freeze! What could be better than a brisk walk, followed by snuggling up with a hot chocolate beside a roaring log fire in your UK holiday cottage this winter? 

However between now and February half-term the reality is that many holiday homes will be unoccupied and susceptible to pipes bursting in freezing weather, especially if owners have not taken precautions.
According to XCWeather temperatures across many areas of the UK are due to drop well below freezing over the next few days.
In the twelve months to November 2011 35% of our holiday home insurance claims by number were as a result of escape of water. These claims accounted for a staggering 71% of the overall claims payments by value.
As many holiday home owners have unfortunately found out, suffering escape of water damage in your holiday home can be very traumatic and often not detected until someone informs you of water pouring out of the front door! 
The good news is that by taking small precautions, such as our tips to avoid burst pipes and adhering to your holiday home insurance unoccupancy conditions you will significantly reduce the risk. 
Apologies if we are preaching to the converted, we realise that the majority of holiday home owners are extremely careful but the best of us can get caught out.
  • Check out the 7 day forecast for your Holiday Home Postcode here
  • Check out our Tips To Avoid Burst Pipes here 
  • Boshers Holiday Home Insurance policyholders unoccupancy conditions are here          

As Britain is once again being battered by rain, wind and snow we would like to remind our holiday home insurance policyholders of the conditions applying when your holiday homes are unoccupied.

It is likely that over the coming months your holiday home may be unoccupied for periods of time. It is for this reason that I would like to remind those of you who benefit from Boshers Holiday Home Insurance cover, of our Unoccupancy Conditions.

The wording is as follows:
Unoccupancy – It is a condition that whenever the premises are left unoccupied you will arrange that the premises are inspected at least every 14 days by you or by an authorised person responsible to you.

In addition the following applies between the months of October to March inclusive: 
You will arrange that either:

  1. ..the heating system is brought into operation and a minimum room temperature of not less than 45°F or 7°C maintained throughout the property or
  2. ..the water is turned off at the stopcock inside the premises and the domestic water system drained and other services such as electricity and gas disconnected (other than as necessary to maintain the central heating or security systems).

If you fail to fulfil the above conditions cover will be restricted to damage by Fire lightning explosion earthquake and by any aircraft flying object (or items dropped from them) vehicle train or animal colliding with the buildings.

Full pdf policy wordings are available to download in the left hand column of the Holiday Home Insurance page on our website.

Should you have any queries please do not hesitate to phone our holiday home insurance team on 01237 429444.

Don’t get caught out by the freezing weather this winter!

Last years prolonged big freeze affected thousands of holiday homes, with freezing temperatures leading to burst pipes and extensive property damage throughout the UK.

Escape of water can devastate a holiday home and is one of the most common causes of holiday home insurance claims…

Please take every precaution to reduce the risk of escape of water claims at your holiday home this winter..

Visit our new blog page Tips to avoid burst pipes to read on click here

C500 Key Safe

One benefit of our holiday home insurance policy is that the comprehensive cover provided to holiday home owners accommodates the use of Key Safes to make it more convenient for guest changeovers. All our underwriters ask is that you take sensible precautions such as those covered in our previous blog post, You, Your Holiday Home Insurance and Key Safes.

As part of our service to holiday home owners, we like to inform you of products, services, risk advice and legislative changes of interest to you as a furnished holiday let owner. Whilst we are not in a position to directly endorse the C500 key safe ourselves we were suitably impressed with it to warrant this blog, with the proviso that other key safes are available..

Read on for details of the C500 – The UK’s first Police approved key safe.

For your guests, gaining access into your holiday home is often a challenge. A key safe can provide immediate access for authorised visitors using a unique combination. This guarantees secure access 24/7, allowing visitors to arrive and depart whenever they need to. It’s why 86% of Local authorities use this method to deliver care into the homes of vulnerable people they support.

Police Approved – Key safe designs can vary greatly, not just in terms of looks but also levels of security.

Supra UK were concerned that some key safe products actually put people’s homes and vulnerable people at risk. This concern prompted Supra to carry out extensive market research to understand what customers wanted from a key safe. It highlighted that 80% of people said that the most important key safe accreditation was gaining Police approval. This was a tough challenge but essential to meet customer requirements.

Supra are absolutely delighted to announce that the Supra C500 KeySafe ™ has now achieved LPS (Loss Prevention Standard) 1175 level 1 security rating; this is the same level of security provided by a domestic front door. Gaining this independent security rating then enabled the C500 to be Police approved, through the Secured by Design (SbD) scheme.

This makes the C500 and only key safe on the UK market to be approved by the Police.

What experts think of the C500 KeySafe:

“Now that the C500 KeySafe has achieved LPS and; SbD accreditation this should be the only key safe that is specified – it is a very good product”

Peter Bennett, Thames Valley Police

“We have no hesitation in saying that out of the five key safe products evaluated, the Supra C500 is the only key safe worth considering.”

Dr. Kevin Doughty – Centre of Usable Home Technology (CUHTEC)

Supra are confident that the C500 KeySafe is the most attack resistant on the UK market. If you are in any doubt on the suitability of a particular key safe, please contact your local Crime Prevention Officer.

Find out more at

Find out more about holiday home insurance from Boshers Ltd by clicking here.

C500 key safe | longer screws for rendered walls

Please note that with effect from September 2014 The Key Safe Company have made a small but important change to the installation fixings supplied with the C500 police approved key safe. They are now supplied with 60mm long self-tapping masonary screws, these longer screws are more suitable for fixing through rendered walls, negating the need to knock the render off of the wall before fixing. Find out more about the C500 improvements to key safe installation fixings.

Holiday home owners considering a key safe will also find this blog post of interest: You, Your Holiday Home Insurance and Key Safes.

Our lettest e-Newsletter for furnished holiday home owners “Tips For Safe Holiday Home Letting” is available by clicking here

In this issue: 

  • Holiday home Maintenance Checklist – ensure your holiday home is safe to let and reduce the risk of holiday home insurance claims.
  • Holiday Home Owners Warned – Increase In Theft Of Heating Oil!
  • Is your holiday home underinsured?

Read these articles and more here Holiday home Insurance e-Newsletter 

Ensure your holiday home is safe to let and reduce the risk of holiday home insurance claims in 2011. We have compiled this holiday home pre-season maintenance checklist as an aide memoire, it is not an exhaustive list so feel free to leave your own comments and suggestions below.

Your holiday home

  1. Do you have GAS APPLIANCES? If you do, have you arranged for your GAS SAFETY registered engineer to (a) service your gas appliances and central heating boiler in accordance the manufacturers instruction?; And (b) to carry out an annual gas safety check? For more guidance click here
  2. Do you have Oil Fired Heating? If you do have your heating engineer service your applicances and boiler in accordance with the manufacturers instructions and carry out a safety check. Be aware that heating oil thefts are on the rise! For more guidance click here
  3. Do you have an open fire, stove or wood burner? If so have you had your chimney swept recently?
  4. Mains water tap – ensure you can turn it on and off. Do your guests know where to find it incase of an emergency?
  5. Inspect your roof for signs of slipped slates or tiles and have repairs carried out where necessary.
  6. Have you checked your smoke detectors and changed the batteries if not hard wired? Diary for periodic checks. 

Your holiday home garden

  1. Arrange for your drains, gutters and downpipes to be inspected to ensure they are clear of leaves and debris which may cause blockages.
  2. Repair broken fences, gates and boundary walls.
  3. Consider cleaning garden paths, patios and steps to remove any build up of moss, lichen and algae, to reduce the risk of slips and trips.
  4. Check your garden furniture, is it fit for purpose? If your garden furniture is damaged, replace it now for you or one of your guests has an accident.

Your holiday home risk assessments

  1. Fire risk assessment – have you updated your holiday home fire risk assessment? make sure you record your results. For guidance click here
  2. Portable electrical item checks. Include a visual check of your portable electrical items, checking for damage such as fraying power cables. If in doubt have your portable electrical items inspected by a qualified electrician or replace them with new ones as necessary.
  3. General risk assessment – ensure that your general risk assessment is up to date and that you have thought about the use of saunas, hot tubs, spa pools, childrens play equipment and swimming pools where appropriate.

Boshers Ltd | Holiday Home Insurance Specialists have comiled this holiday home, holiday cottage and cottage complex maintenance checklist as a useful aide memoire for owners of commercially let UK holiday homes. It is not designed to be exhaustive and Boshers Ltd will not be held  responsible for errors or omissions.

Holiday Home Insurance Top Ten Blogs From 2010. Listed below are our top ten holiday home insurance blogs from 2010. Full of informative holiday home insurance tips and hints for furnished holiday let owners in the UK.

Brought to you by specialist Holiday Home Insurance broker Boshers Ltd.